December 30th, 2005 - John C. Kirk — LiveJournal
Dec. 30th, 2005
02:29 am - New Year
As an improvement over yesterday, today I left work at 01:15 and got back at 02:05; the motorbike is handy when the roads are clear (and trains are absent), although it's less useful in rush hour traffic.
Planning ahead, I've been thinking about New Year resolutions. I've tended to ignore these in the past, on the basis that if I have any bad habits then I should just give them up at any time of the year, rather than waiting until January. However, I'm now taking a different approach, by looking at some of the big items on my "to do" list, and seeing which of them are attainable goals within a year. My shortlist is:
1. Finish decorating (including wardrobe and curtains in my bedroom), and unpack all my non-archive boxes.
2. Catch up on my backlog of magazines (specifically my 3 year stack of PC Pro/Computer Shopper), and then stay up to date with them (i.e. read each month's magazines before the next month's arrive).
3. Take the remaining SQL Server/VB.NET exams (i.e. the ones I haven't taken yet).
There are a few other things that I'm intending to do, but I don't think they really count as resolutions. E.g.
* "Go swimming at least once a week". If I do something like the narrowboat holiday from last year then it won't be practical to go swimming that week, and it seems a bit watered down to say "I'll do it unless I have something better to do".
* "Improve my first aid qualifications". I'm booked on an AED course next weekend, but it's not really up to me about when I do other training - that's for our officers to decide.
So, I'll stick to the top three as my official ones.
|← Previous day||(Calendar)||Next day →|