John C. Kirk (johnckirk) wrote,
John C. Kirk

Computer fans

My computer has been making strange noises for a while, but I've been ignoring it. That's partly because it's awkward to get it out from the desk and look inside, and partly because I wanted to delay buying new bits for it.

Anyway, I've finally got round to investigating, and the problem is the fan for the "Canterwood 875" device. That's a small square bit between the main CPU and the graphics card. (Former flatmates may remember it as the bit that puts disco lights on the ceiling, since it has red/green/blue LEDs inside.)

However, I'm having trouble finding anywhere that sells replacements. Lots of companies sell CPU fans, or case cooling fans, but this is unusual. Maybe there's a more generic name for it? I could replace the whole motherboard (I've had this one for at least 5 years), but then I'd also have to replace the RAM; I'll have to do that eventually, but for now I'd prefer a cheap solution, since I'm sure this component only costs about £5.

Any suggestions from the HiveMind? (For reference, this mobo is an MSI 875P Neo.)

Edit: Apparently this is called an "NB fan" (NB = NorthBridge chipset). I'm off to the Tottenham Court Road computer fair, so hopefully I can find a replacement there.
Tags: computers, hivemind

  • Go west, young man!

    It's LARP season again: Curious Pastimes have 4 big events in May, June, July, and August, and I went to the May event ("Into the West") a few weeks…

  • WSWC (2/3): The races

    Previously in my blog... In part 1, I travelled to Lapland for the Winter Swimming World Championships. Now it was time for the races to begin!…

  • Another orbit complete

    Today was my birthday, so I took the day off work and arranged to climb the Elizabeth Tower (aka the Big Ben tower, one of the items on my bucket…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 1 comment