2011 in review - John C. Kirk
Jan. 2nd, 2012
06:13 pm - 2011 in review
Looking back at 2011, a few highlights:
- Cycled 4897 km, on a variety of bikes. That's slightly more than last year (4806 km in 2010), but it's still about 3000 miles. This includes:
- Travelling to Europe. I went to a wedding in Germany, then came home via Disneyland Paris.
- In the SJA year (Dec 2010 to Nov 2011) I did 504 hours, so I'll get a certificate for exceeding 500 hours.
- I've watched (or at least reviewed) 46 films.
- According to GoodReads, I read 71 books. This includes a couple of graphic novels, but it doesn't include most of the comics I've read. Those can be tricky to count, e.g. if a TPB reprints 6 monthly issues then is that 1 comic or 6? Suffice it to say that I read a lot of comics too.
I don't normally make New Year's Resolutions. That's partly because some changes make more sense at other times of the year, e.g. giving up Coke at Christmas or reviewing my finances in April (the end of the financial year). There are also some things I'd like to do which aren't entirely up to me, e.g. training courses. However, I do have a few targets for the year ahead:
- Cycle at least 5000 km.
- Visit at least 11 BCQ checkpoints. (There are 10 spaces on each answer card.)
- Increase my Eddington number.
- Play the piano at least once a month. This will involve clearing enough space to reach it, either permanently or temporarily.
I read a Cracked article recently: 5 Reasons Your New Year's Resolution Is Going to Fail. I think the items on my list avoid those traps, and should also count as "SMART" objectives.
Finally, here are Woody Guthrie's resolutions from 1942. (I don't know who he is, but someone mentioned them on Twitter and they're worth reading.)
Edit: Fixed GoodReads link so that it works if you're not logged in.