?

Log in

No account? Create an account

1 out of 2 ain't bad... - John C. Kirk

Jun. 27th, 2002

01:08 am - 1 out of 2 ain't bad...

Previous Entry Share Next Entry

Well, things are sort of progressing here.

Had a letter through from the motorbike shop this morning, with an estimate for the repair cost of my bike - 3089.04. I assume they've also sent a copy of this to the insurance company. Now looking on the Kawasaki site, buying the bike new would cost 3295.00. So, that raises the question of whether it's actually worth repairing it. Before people start gibbering too much, I'm only liable for the first 150 quid of this, thanks to fully comp insurance :) Still, it didn't seem like the crash was that bad, all things considered; I guess these bikes are just quite fragile... When I had a similar accident on my last bike (1800 repair cost vs 2000 new), that was what made me decide to buy the new bike (that I've now wrecked). The guy in the shop said he was surprised that the insurance company hadn't just classified it as a write-off, but then I explained that they weren't paying for it. Anyway, the point is, I'm curious to see how they'll handle this. From my point of view, the ideal scenario is that they say "OK, we'll give you the money to buy a new bike", rather than paying for the repairs to this one. My accommodation plans for September are still up in the air, but if I'm at university on the Strand, I won't need a motorbike to get there, unless I'm living way out in zone 6 somewhere. That means that I could keep the money, and not replace the bike. Anyway, I'll see what happens there.

I emailed the Durham person on Monday with a list of the modules I took, but I haven't had a reply yet, and there's still no sign of the transcript. Deadline-wise, it's not critical, but I'm getting twitchy. Basically, Kings say that they'll accept MSc applications until mid-September, or until the places are filled. So, plenty of time until September, but if it's first-come first-served then I want to get in the queue pronto. Mind you, they also say that they'll take 20-30 people, so they may be flexible. I thought about emailing the Kings admin people again, to see whether they had any spaces left. However, I don't really have anything to lose by applying, so I may as well hope for the best. William tells me that things are really hectic at Durham at the moment, as the exam results have just come out, and people are registering for next year. Of course, given that I posted the form on the 14th May, that's not much of an excuse for the delay... Anyway, I'll leave it for the next couple of days. I'm taking the day off on Monday (my birthday), so I can make phone calls then if necessary.